UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO CENTER FOR LITERACY
The UIC Center for Literacy is an organization involved in research, policy advising, and program development at the local, national, and international levels. After 25 years of serving the community, the Center was in need of a refreshed brand image and message.
- Conducted focus group sessions and one-on-one interviews with leadership, staff, and select program participants
- Analyzed previous and current marketing materials and messaging
- Conducted a market analysis of program participants and competitors
- Developed engaging marketing copy for five separate program websites (Resource Center for Autism and Developmental Delays, Adult Education, Parent Outreach, Parent Resources and the overall CFL landing page)
- Designed new marketing materials for all departments
- Facilitated half-day workshops for management (social media, fundraising and brand messaging)
The Result: SMS developed marketing collateral that allows the Center to communicate with its various audiences effectively. Through their updated marketing materials, they are able to make an emotional connection with their key stakeholders and their internal staff is better equipped to share the benefits of the various programs available to the community.
VILLAGE OF MATTESON
Despite the marketable assets of a prime location with access to highways and commuter transportation and an educated population with a higher than average household income, the Village had substantial obstacles to overcome. The most prominent obstacle was a need to enhance the perception of the community and to better communicate the Village’s plan to improve economic development.
Analyzed past and current marketing and branding efforts
- Developed and implemented an online community-wide perception survey
- Interviewed key stakeholders including government officials, business owners, and residents
- Created a full research summary and SWOT analysis
- Developed a community asset map
- Facilitated educational based marketing initiatives including a Local Government 101 workshop, Economic Development 101 workshop and a Marketing Matteson print newsletter
- Created social media and public relations strategies and recommendations for community events and a new website
- Designed new brand collateral including a logo, tagline, trade publication advertisements, eNewsletter template, new resident guide, economic development guide, stationery, social media graphics, and three promotional videos
- Developed the “I Am Matteson” community pride campaign and related visuals
- Combined all efforts to create a comprehensive strategic marketing plan including an implementation matrix and timeline, and evaluation plan with key metrics
The Result: SMS created a cohesive brand image for the Village that tells the true story of the community through effective messaging and ongoing community outreach. This messaging allowed the Village to shift both the internal and external perceptions of the community. SMS created and hosted a Good Neighbor Awards and Brand Launch Celebration event to introduce the new campaign to the community.